12.02.2010

The most wonderful time of the year!

Christmas at our house lasts all year long. Not only because we have half eaten candy canes stashed into places that may seem impossible or lights that get put up around the house just to fill a need- I mean who doesn't love a Christmas in July? Tiger asks every day if it's Christmas time and we have to give him the countdown; birthdays, Halloween, birthdays, Thanksgiving and then Christmas... and of course the day after Thanksgiving he begin his search for Christmas and the house sees no respite until December 26th.

I grew up in a home that to this day has every hall decked out with the Christmas Spirit. My mother takes her decorating very seriously and I remember those years when I would help her in the annual duty of hanging lights and bells, longing about one day having my own home to make my own merry memories just like the ones I was blessed to have. Our fist year married Mr. Zookeeper and I proudly displayed our tree and bought the most precious ornaments to adorn it while draping every window and doorway with garland and bows.

Rhino came and we experienced our first Christmas as a family. It truly was everything they painted in the movies. Tiger joined us and well- that must have been the sequel that never got aired. I spent Christmas in labor and on bed rest for him to show up a week later but still a month early... apparently Christmas was important to him even in the womb. It has never been the same since.

Nearing his first birthday he decided to get a closer look at the tree. Presents no longer remained wrapped so I decided the next year maybe we should hide them. Puppy came and Christmas was still a joy but I noticed less and less decorating... "oh yeah", I would remind myself, "Tiger pulled that down last year". The nativity set has been removed completely to maintain some level of sacredness for it's meaning.

Hiding the presents worked well until he started finding them- then he showed interest in the lights so they very quickly disappeared and he found his true calling when he discovered the nutcracker.

Monkey came and Christmas morning brought a lot of paper and who knows what gifts because all they really cared about was the opening part. Tiger had showed everyone how much fun it is to open things so we started wrapping everything separately just to have a dozen presents to open (we even started wrapping their ketchup and orange juice for breakfast just to give them one more ounce of Christmas awesomeness).

Christmas has definitely changed for us since that first and only silent night. Now we have a tree that is bolted to the floor with nothing but lights- white lights because colors are too tempting. Each of has a stocking but it remains untouched until it's filled and then quickly emptied into a bowl and put away. No decorations are needed because Tiger only likes to cut them up and the nutcracker is still in our home but prefers to watch his own performances as he displays his techniques in the front room window- underwear and snow boots remains his favorite attire.

The animals are always ready for the next big thing so we do little activities all month long. One child pulls a preplanned activity from the baggie every morning and sometime throughout the day we fulfill their need for complete amazement and holiday cheer.

Rhino is easily influenced but very easily distracted so I tell him what he wants Santa to bring him and then allow him to tell Santa that's what he's decided on. Puppy soaks it all and Monkey is following Tiger a little too closely... she is now joining him in finding the hidden presents. Yes, we wrap, unwrap and re-wrap presents all month long and after one year's midnight experience Santa now knows to come to our house last... in fact he shimmies out the door right before Tiger wakes up so as not to give him any opportunities to have Christmas again without us.

Lots of cookies, candy canes and gingerbread houses- not because anyone likes them but because they're shown in all of the Christmas propaganda so naturally it becomes a necessity. Movies and hot cocoa seal the season.

Visit a December day at our Zoo and you're sure to find Mr. Zookeeper tangled in lights holding up the tree, Rhino has a list of everything he must do to make the season right- yes, there are rules apparently that must be followed or else it is not Christmas (thank goodness it snows here I would have to have it sent in). You won't find Tiger in his cage so you'd better check all of the closets (try the top shelf), under the beds, in the food storage buckets or anywhere else you might think to locate a present from grandma... it won't matter where it's hidden- he will find it and don't forget to catch the showing of his rendition of the Nutcracker complete with sound effects. Puppy will be writing letters to Santa- everyday just in case and Monkey will either be sneaking candy canes or apple juice just to get herself a mess before she begins trying out for a part as the sugar plum fairy as she parades around in her Tu-Tu- regardless of freezing temperatures or many attempts to at least throw in some tights. I'll be the one running out in front, cleaning up from behind and trying to squeeze in on the sides.

'Tis the season and it's a crazy one around here. The Zoo lights up like never before and all of the animals seem to be singing jingle bells in their sleep. A lot of (humble)work goes into making sure everyone has the best Christmas ever and although it's not exactly the way I once imagined it; Christmas morning never fails me... exhausted I sit on the couch, snuggle next to my sweetheart and just smile. It's always the best Christmas ever because it's one more we get to spend together.

I'm glad my children love to keep the Christmas Spirit all year long because it truly is the most wonderful time of the year! (And I'm also glad that there is only one December 25th so I can recoup my house and brain for the next one.)

No comments: