The "Supermom" cape is in the wash, and today, I am just "Zookeeper".
Sometimes we all just need a break. I try very hard to please everyone around me and end up crying over instant chat to a loving husband that learned a long time ago the beneifts of instant chat versus random choked up phone calls. I work hard for my family and usually put myself last; yes, I am one of those that the flight attendant stares down when demonstrating the need and process of putting your own oxygen mask on first and then attempting to help the child.
I don't have a lot of choice in the matter. Most times my services are needed immediately. I have three difficult children and one that I have to be careful to not make pick up all the slack. Hand over hand is required for most daily events from dressing to making a bed to eating to flushing to talking and "hold on a minute" only lasts so long. Stop for too much longer than a minute and I find matters taken into their own hands- which is a very good step in independence but usually not very helpful for my to-do list.
Perhaps it's the late nights with one and early morning with another. Sleep is something I've dreamed about for a while now and hope to reunite with on a constant basis. Messes on the floors, walls and ceilings- in all colors of the rainbow... and one additional color that isn't in the rainbow but resembles the mud that appears under a rainbow if you know what I mean. Rug Doctor folks- Rug Doctor... Cleans up #1 and #2...especially the #2.
Disgusting? Yes it is. Exhausting? Yes- that too but I learned a long time ago that being a housewife and mother involved a lot more than baking cookies (although those are still requirements). I wouldn't trade it for anything... well maybe a little less #2 everywhere for sanity and sanitation purposes but really, I love what I do and even enjoy the challenges that I'm strengthened to fight against. Nevertheless, all of that super- stuff takes it toll on the cape and occasionally it needs to be removed and sent for a good cleaning.
It's always hard to take off the cape, humbling really, to know that while you try your hardest- you are still human and need to rely on a higher power than your own. Indeed, it is difficult to remove and the more it's used the harder it is to get clean. Sometimes we have to ask others to do some saving while we wash up but it feels so good to have that burden lifted; even if it's only a quick cycle and tumble dry. Putting on a fresh cape, especially when you had time to use softener, gives that renewed feeling of freshness and saving the world (or at least a small portion of it) becomes a little bit easier.
For some reason we become afraid to remove the cape to give it the cleaning it needs. I guess we all fear we might be the only supers left but I bet if we took off our own cape for a while, we might notice a few others flying around too. If we coordinate, we can take turns and thus get more use out of capes in between washes. Heaven forbid we all run out of pixie dust and have to wash at the same time- the world would go into chaos mode and all of the animals in it would go wild!
While I do what I can and constantly try to improve what I can't do so well, I still acknowledge the limit of my superpowers. Don't for a second think I have stopped believing that good will always overpower evil (after-all, I will still have my trusty sidekick Rug Doctor). Just know that under the not-so-great fitting body suit (IMAGES) and amazing stretch abilities (MORE IMAGES)- I, like every other woman just need to take a minute to apply my own oxygen mask and then I'll be right back to save you.
So, if on occasion you see me grounded- don't give up hope in the greater good- the cape is just in the wash...
2 comments:
I think you deserve to take the cape off every now and again. You are a great Mom to those little animals!
I have spent the last couple of hours laughing and crying and generally enjoying your blog posts. Thank you for sharing your love and devotion to, not only the heavenly moments of motherhood, but the insane realities as well. I hope you will keep finding and sharing the joy!
Post a Comment