Creatures in the wild grow so fast, even at 2 years old most are performing as adults, That's probably a good thing since their life spans usually aren't very long but I am noticing that the older I get, the quicker even our little kids are growing up. I am not that old- 30- to be exact... I am supposed to be in my prime, right? Then why do I feel so old when I see the little kiddos I used to babysit in wedding announcements? It just amazes me to see everyone growing up so fast.
I took a little vacation with my girls (OK- I took them to Disneyland so it was totally awesome!) but, the point I want to make is what I saw one of the nights we were there. While leaving the park I noticed bus loads (literally) of teenagers entering the main gates. At first I felt the need to throw a tantrum because it was near closing time and I felt betrayed as a Disney fan that I had to leave while these kids were just getting started, but then I realized how old I was and how I get tired so much quicker and traded in my envy for relief that I couldn't walk down main street even just one more time.
(obsessed- yes- but moving on)
As I watched these kids I felt that perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on me- they looked like humans but behaved more like animals; some were making strange sounds as if they were practicing to swim with the dolphins later on, others hooped and hollered like monkeys in mating season while a large majority, some of whom forgot to pull their pants up all of the way or even finish getting dressed swam with the crowd like mindless goldfish as they laughed on with the main characters as if they were hyenas attending the premiere of the Lion King. Harsh judgment? Probably- but it takes a serious scene for a zookeeper such as myself (who is certified in crazy) to call out a wild bunch and they were on every account, a wild bunch of animals.
We walked the path to our hotels to find more and more buses unloaded and then we read a sign that changed my life. "Congratulations Graduates!"
"Oh heavens," I thought. "It was grad- night and these children whom I just mistook as jungle escapees are the future?" Perhaps I judged their excitement in the wrong manner, I am hoping that is the case and the boys' whose shorts were worn around their thighs were probably good Samaritans who gave their belts to the needy... I don't know them personally (so I'll only judge a little :) but after seeing the sneak peak preview- I grew a little worried about the future of us all... would one of these kids become my new mortgage broker, my internet customer service representative or even the helpful man that checks our lap bars before we go plunging down the hill of Splash Mountain?
Then something else happened. I returned home.
I had employed a young neighbor to take care of our pet dog while we were away. I found the house in a neat order with no usual sign of wear and tear... the kind that WE usually wreak within moments of entering a home. I was given a full report from his mom of everything that happened while we were away and then the boy came to return my keys and collect his payment. I was ready to hand over the envelope and call it good when he surprised me. I stood there holding out the payment but before he would take it, he asked me if there was anything that he could have done better. I was shocked. it was a good shock but I almost didn't know how to respond. I told him I was very satisfied with his work (apologized that he had to clean up a few accidents) and assured him that I would love to employ him again if he wasn't too traumatized. He agreed to return again and I closed the door with a smile on my face. This boy was employed with the intent that he was raising money to attend scout camp. I was so impressed not only by the boy but also with his parents. Rather than just pay for their son, they gave him the responsibility to earn it for himself. He had to do the work but his parents were there to support him every step of the way coaching him in what to do and accompanying him as needed.
The admiration I had for this boy and his parents reminded me of the graduates I saw. They were celebrating the joys in life and geez- it can't get any better than celebrating graduation at Disneyland! ... and I'm sure that anyone who reads this blog but doesn't know me in other lights might find unique ways to judge me as well. I did see them all leaving the park as we entered the next morning and their demeanor had calmed down quite a bit leaving me to believe that I had misjudged most of them but it still left me wondering about the readiness of today's children becoming tomorrow's leaders.
Moral of the story: Parents- we must teach our children how to work, we must support them in everything that they do but we must not be afraid to let them work, to learn, to be disappointed and to live. It was clear in this family who had helped me out (where there are 5 kids) that these children were being prepared to be future leaders. They will not be afraid to work when the time comes because they learned it under the tutelage and support of a loving umbrella... which is the best classroom for success. Our children will all one day grow up... some even faster than we are ready to accept and the more tools we can give them the better prepared they will be. Sometime we are afraid to make our kids unhappy, but they will meet disappointment and adversity regardless of what we do so the best thing we can do is prepare them to meet it head on. We only have a few years to turn babies into grown ups and some resist everything we teach them after the age of nine- but we cannot neglect our duties as parents. They may resist and sometimes not appear to be listening (sorry mom for all those times I pretended to ignore you) but they need our utmost attention and expect us to prepare them. (and by all means- if your child gives his belt away to some needy citizen, buy him a new one so that we can all feel a little safer in passing.) Our future is only as bright as the children we raise. I find remarkable rays in every child I see- let us embrace that glorious sunshine, not allow clouds to fog them over and let them shine!
As parents we are given a special privilege but with that blessing comes a big responsibility. Children need more than just food and clothes to be taken care of and it's our duty to teach them how to fish so that they may thrive all the days of their life. Let them learn the hardest lessons when they're the easiest to set right.
A little love goes a long way and so does a little child who receives all of the love he can get. I am grateful to all of those who set the example of true parenthood and hope that one day I can trust my children to look after someone else's pet or at least attend grad night and have their wild animal identity be not so obvious to the general public... hey- I said "Hope" :)
No comments:
Post a Comment