6.16.2010

It's a jungle in here!

Have you ever walked into a home that was so well decorated, neat and orderly that you felt as if you were on the set of a photo shoot? I have felt that... I grew up in it and always dreamed of having a home of my own that I could turn into a little piece of heaven for my family. My dream came true when I married the most wonderful man and again when my first child was born; stories at bedtime, Friday night dates, cookies on the counter, laundry in the drawers, everything had a place and for the most part that's where you'd find it. I felt so happy every time our family made an addition. Fast forward ten years. Four children, all bouncing with energy and unique personalities, two with autism- the other two are girls and the emotions that they bring with them. A very busy husband who does everything to provide for us so I don't have to and a house that looks very similar to the neighborhood playground! Sure, there are still cookies on the table and laundry in drawers... although most times it seems to be the other way around. :) Even though I am still living my dream, it only took a few years before I realized that I was not merely a housewife and mother. I was so much more. Nothing in my life could have ever prepared me for the things I'd encounter on a daily basis. I wake up to the sounds of a garage door opening only to begin chasing my naked son down the street, clothed in pajamas with three other children chasing behind me. Surely a sight for every neighbor to chuckle over breakfast. Between sensitivities and allergies I make 7-9 meals a day and find myself getting excited when someone tries a new food without throwing it up or throwing it at me. A good day is one when only I get hit, everybody eats, nobody gets lost, everyone made it to the toilet in time and at the end of the day the house is still standing- even if just barely. It's truly a jungle in here and most days all of the animals are going wild. I struggle everyday to survive and feel as if I'm always in maintenance mode. Just when I think it's time to shut down for renovations or possibly ship off some animals to another zoo for a season- a magical thing happens. A new skill is learned, a moment is shared or a child's laughter breaks through the air and I remember why I am the luckiest woman in the world! After all, why are we enticed by zoos and the animal kingdom in general. They are so simple, so fresh (not referring to the smell of course), and so fascinating to observe. We can't get enough of the graceful cheetah, the majestic lion, the curious monkey. That is why I am so fortunate. Many hours are spent feeding, cleaning and taming the little animals but the moments shared cannot be replaced. Learning, teaching; we're equals. They need me and I need them. Is it hard? Of course. Is it exhausting? Most days. Would I change anything? Not a chance! I never saw it coming but I am proud to be a Zookeeper and happy to share my joy, sorrows, hopes and fears with anyone who wants to come and visit...