6.29.2010

the grass is green on my side too

It's not for everyone... but I prefer to be my own maintenance crew. Sure there are pros and cons to it just like everything else but as a stay at home mom it helps me feel as if I'm contributing to the function of our home and family in ways other than just giving birth. I don't consider myself a slave to the kids or a prisoner stuck within these walls; it is actually the opposite. I feel a sense of accomplishment as I look at the home that I have worked hard to build. I get to be in control, which is something I relish in and ultimately I am my own boss. There are demands and it can be tedious work at times but really, what else would we fill our time with if we didn't have good solid work to do, daytime TV drama and bon- bons? It might seem nice at first (it is) but believe me- it wears on you and you just want to find something to do that brings you happiness. Some people who still want to question our "old fashioned" way of life try to make us feel less important for staying at home, raising children and preparing a safe haven for our families. In spite of my simply just being happy and pleased with life, I too get tired of the same old thing at times and find myself asking the same questions. This is when the grass truly seems greener on the other side... the OUTside. So that's when I take a walk right down the center of the fence and see if my grass is even remotely green compared with anyone else's...

outside complaint: There is nothing glamorous about scrubbing toilets or changing diapers.
the greener side: I don't have to spend very much on every day clothes because there is nothing glamorous about scrubbing toilets or changing diapers... plus I don't have to wash out the sink and wipe around the toilets out of embarrassment before the cleaning service arrives.

outside complaint: Housework and raising kids is never done.
the greener side: I have job security and will never be lonely... even at weird hours of the night.

outside complaint: You have to do all the work yourself, usually with little or no help and to get help you have to train the family a hundred times before it's done the right way.
the greener side: I don't see this as a problem but if you do I can reassure that you will probably always be first choice for employee of the month. Take yourself out for ice cream, put your name in front of your parking space and hang a picture of yourself on the wall- it'll make you feel better.

outside complaint: You don't get vacation days or sick leave...and even if you do take a sick day your work just piles up higher.
the greener side: I'm sorry- what was the question? Just kidding. I don't get paid to go on vacation but I also don't have to ask permission..and as far as the "sick days" go- that is why I have a husband and friends... and why I believe it is worth it to "train" the family to do it right- even if it takes a hundred times.

outside complaint: If you don't have a "real" job you don't get a paycheck.
the greener side: You are absolutely right... but I don't have to pay taxes either. Hey- a penny saved is a penny earned- During my last pregnancy I looked up what it would cost for me to hire out my cleaning and laundry... better believe I was doing my chores with a smile on my face when I realized what it wasn't costing me.

outside complaint: You are a slave to meal times and chores.
the greener side: Sure... and I get to decide what we eat and when the laundry gets done... even if it's after I'm done playing with the kids or during the show I wanted to watch that happens to come on in the middle of the afternoon (sorry you missed it... you were probably at work :)

outside complaint: It's monotonous, does nothing for a resume and generally exhausting.
the greener side: The harder the task the greater the joy. My job is not easy. I am responsible for the lives and welfare of my family. I cannot get fired or quit; I have to fix whatever I did wrong and move forward. I decide the environment my family will live in. I never have to question anyone but myself if my child was dealt with unfairly or if my home is out of order. Whether appreciated now or in the future, nothing I do gets unnoticed or wasted. My hands prepare every needful thing to ensure physical health and well being. I am the face my family sees as they venture into the world and the arms that welcome them home. I rarely miss a laugh and am the first to know when a tear has been shed. I witness miracles everyday as I teach and learn. I am not who I was when I left the work-field... I am better!

We all know as individuals what makes us happiest. Throughout life experiences we find out who we are, what challenges us to be better and what brings true fulfillment. While we may be a little loud at times and are generally messier than the other side; my grass is the same color, except, from where I'm standing... it may be just a little bit greener (except for those brown spots- watch where you step... I haven't gotten to that yet) ....

3 comments:

Bohn Family said...

You're so cute! I LOVE that you finally started blogged!

Wendi said...

You are amazing! Not just in your writing skills, but in your "zookeeping"! : ) Thanks for sharing, and if you ever need anything, we are always home, please call!

Kim said...

Steph you rock. It is so true, being a SAHM is so much more fulfilling in life than being a career woman. And you are an amazing mom to those four kids!