6.14.2011

the harvest that almost wasn't...

Every year I plant a garden and every year I lose it to a natural disaster. Tornado Tiger.

It doesn't matter when I plant, what I plant or how I plant it- he finds it and goes digging for an early harvest. One year I really needed that garden. We needed the food and I was going to plant everything I could. I was even planting everything I needed to make ketchup because we have children who rely on it like it's water. I had 42 tomato plants and several other vegetables and herbs. I started them from seeds. I watered them, I made sure they had all of the sun they needed and when I thought no one was looking I sang happy songs to them so that would happily grow. I hid them in an unused room, dressed in black complete with a face mask- only entered during the off hours and even had my own theme music playing as I advanced toward the room. Okay- so I didn't actually wear the mask but I did exercise every yoga move I knew (all 3 of them) to make a smooth escape when I entered so that I could protect my secret garden.

My babies were almost ready to move outside. I went in to give them the good news and offer them a drink when I found that I was no longer the only caretaker. Every last plant had been harvested to the center of the room. The empty, torn up cups lay silently in a corner while the fertile soil that I mulched myself sprinkled the room like glitter that had lost it's shine. I lined up the suspects so I could inspect their fingernails... it never came to that because as soon as I asked who dumped out my cups, Tiger eagerly raised his hand and shouted, "I did it, I did it!" He was smiling. I was not.

I needed a moment. I cried a little; not only because all of my hard work had been tossed- literally- but also because we needed that garden. I couldn't afford to go buy plants to start over and it was too late for seeds.

Alas, when we do what we are told- God provides. I had heard of some people in the neighborhood mention that they had more vegetables than they could eat or bottle and were going to have to start throwing some away if they couldn't use it up faster. It took me a minute to hang up my pride (okay- more like days)but then I asked all of my friends for anything they might throw out. While I was no longer wearing my pride, I could still see it hanging close by so naturally I couldn't ask face to face and did the next mature thing; I had a friend send out an email to all of the other friends asking for their left overs. What? baby steps...

I was expecting a few tomatoes for a salad and maybe a fresh peach or two but had no idea how to handle the response (This is a re-occurring story in my life- unexpected events seem to fill my days).

The tornado had led to a flood... a flood of food that flowed for days on end. Maybe it really was all extra, maybe they knew we had been unemployed for a short time or maybe we looked really hungry. One thing for sure is that there was a different seed that was planted that day and it will forever grow in my heart. Calls, emails and more donations than I ever imagined. I'd leave to go pick up a bag and come home to find two more on my doorstep. My home started to take on the appearance of the Farmer's market! More than one friend invited me into their backyard at any time to just pick what I'd like. I was so humbled. So grateful.

What started out as a variety of seeds in cups turned into a bountiful feast. It's not only a few fish that can be used to feed a multitude. Indeed, these families were blessed with plenty and able to share, but I too had more than enough and was able to share as well. My kitchen floor (which is not small) was covered in boxes of tomatoes, squash, herbs, fruits, beans and other things that I had to learn what their names were let alone how to cook them.

I learned a great lesson that year and I am reminded of it every time I start a new garden. I plant every season. Though I am yet to have a harvest of my own (Tornado Tiger still strikes)I continue to plant knowing that if I do my part, we will be taken care of whether by my garden or by another- we will not go hungry.

I'm ready to plant again. I've gotten everything ready and with the help of the kids- today we will put our seeds in the ground. I asked them for their help so that they could all feel ownership in our task... we'll see if this ends up being a good idea or another lesson learned (we have lots of those). Regardless of the outcome, I know that the experience will not be in vain. Something, even if not a single vegetable to put on the table will come out of this and be for our experience and own good.

In attempt to get Tiger on my side, I asked him if he'd help me plant. He enthusiastically responded, "yes!"

"I plant beans and corns and hashbrowns!"

No problem buddy- and I'll even throw in some tomatoes so we'll have plenty of ketchup to smother them in...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow! Once again you humble me and bring a tear to my eye. I love that he wants to plant Hashbrowns!!!