12.22.2011

all I want for Christmas, I already have...

It's the most wonderful time of the year... my children of course want a hippopotamus for Christmas, well, at least an alligator, a platypus, Legos, a dog house (for the play puppies, not the real dog), a million princess barbies, more Legos and everything that happens to come on the computer, TV screen or mail order catalog.

Mostly, my children are just as excited to unwrap a bottle of ketchup or bag of chips because for them- it's all about the unwrapping.

After previous experiences, I no longer put any presents under the tree until Christmas morning. Even Christmas Eve has backfired since we all came down to find our surprises already opened by a very proud Tiger. But this year, the kids found wrapped presents from their grandmas and stacked them themselves. OK. I'll let them have those presents (Grandma after all knows us well and double wrapped all the gifts in heavy duty boxes).

Rhino has carried his presents with him, smelling them and just holding them close. Tiger has opened his a few times but now has an endless supply of paper and tape to re-wrap his gift so that he might enjoy the same experience tomorrow (and yes, he does look surprised every time). Puppy keeps counting hers to make sure Tiger hasn't touched them and Monkey is just ecstatic to hold any box and call it her own... much to Rhino's dismay who quickly corrects her.

Homeschooling has made this Christmas season a little different. No class parties to bake for, teachers gifts to prepare (one year I had 27 between the 2 boys!) and no time to shop during the day without any kids. Luckily I became a fan of online shopping years ago (let's face it- I was always at school with the kids and very rarely alone) and once again Santa received help from UPS and Fed Ex. The kids got so excited every time "that" knock came or they saw the truck stop, we decided to leave a box of cookies and carton of milk for them both because it felt like we were waiting for Santa (nobody can prove the sleigh is red... it might be brown sometimes too)!

The downside to being so prepared is having a curious Tiger that can uncover anything that even remotely smells like a present. Doors, sheets, ropes, locks- nothing keeps a Tiger away from his prey!

I know the children will love their gifts- I just hope they love them as much the second (and in some cases TENTH) time they open them...

My kids get to open quite a few gifts on Christmas morning and even starting a few days before (what's Christmas without pajamas), but the gifts are not all door busters. Some finds come from the thrift store and others the grocery store. In fact, you will actually find bottles of ketchup under our tree. There are a few toys and desired wish list items but they'll be next to the shoes, pants and underwear... like I said, my kids are happy to open anything and since I buy those things anyway, we wrap them up and let them count as a gift.

We spent sparingly this year, something we always set out to do and after all was said and done, all four children's Christmas fit into a large Target bag. It'll be small, but they are so sweet and innocent that they'll act as if we've given them the whole world!

In addition to buying for our own children, we opted to spread our blessings and had the opportunity to provide Christmas for another family through the Heart 2 Home organization. I wasn't sure we'd be able to pull it off at first but Mr. Zookeeper saved some extra money that we were able to share. It was an amazing experience. They too are getting underwear and shoes with just a simple toy but I was literally crying as I walked through the store with this family in mind. I have never met them and knew so little but felt so close to them. No sacrifice was too great and it was a wonderful feeling to wrap the presents with my children and talk about what we were doing. We were Santa's helpers because we can have the same magic that Santa Claus has; the magic of giving. (And might I just add, after sacrificing the money to this family, a friend kindly employed me to play with her son for a few hours a day and just yesterday she gave me an envelope that contained the exact amount of money that we spent- blessings all around!)

Last week school finished for me and the children (I got 3 A's and a B- just saying) and we quickly turned to baking and everything Christmas-y... and of course re- wrapping more presents. The kids are bursting with excitement and I'm not too far behind them... it'll be nice to have Christmas morning arrive so that Tiger can have the green light and I can stop hiding things (and losing things) and locking the whole house up. I LOVE to watch my children's faces light up as they unveil their long awaited anticipation- even for underwear! Shopping for your children is an excellent way to get to know them better. Conversations about what they want and need and how they want to serve others. Christmas movies and stories, caroling at any hour of the day and sharing favorite memories while cutting out a batch of sugar cookies. This year I will also think about the other family that we were blessed to know and help this season, from one mother to another I already love her and her children.

I will think about Christmases past and those who are no longer with us but forever live in traditions and memories. I will think of Christmas present because today is a gift and we get to choose how it's wrapped. And because I am a planner, I will think about Christmases yet to come; I will remember all year round to teach my children about our Savior, the real reason for such a wonderful season.

After going through our children's wish lists the kids anxiously asked me what I wanted Santa to bring me. This was one of the few times (in my entire life) I was speechless. I thought long and hard but as it turns out, every morning is Christmas morning for me. Sure there's work to do but my day is full of surprises, gifts of love and I get to spend my time with my family... a little less ketchup on the tables and more in the bottles would be great but I don't think even Santa has that kind of magic! Truth is, I couldn't think of anything to put on the list because I already have everything I ever wished for!

With a grateful heart and a cheery spirit, Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Sheree Flick Photography said...

Merry Christmas to you too! Love you!