12.01.2011

Safe with a Thankful Heart

I have so many things that I am grateful for. I could list them all and the post probably wouldn't be any longer than usual ones but instead, I would like to share a personal story.

The month of Thanksgiving has just ended and mine ended with a bang.

Yesterday, I was at the church with three of my kids. I was making some copies and getting ready for a church meeting later that night. Tiger, Puppy and Monkey were all playing together and the job was running smoothly. I was nearing the end of my tasks when Tiger wanted to take over at the copier. I could not let him do so; who knows what he would have put on the machine and copied let alone how much the machine costs!

When he would not listen, I had to be firm and he left the room angry. Seconds later, I heard a door and ran out after him.

It was freezing temperatures and Tiger had no shoes, I thought there was no way even he would run away in this condition, still, he was nowhere to be found.

I saw a teenager at the door, I figured she must have been trying to get in and that was the door-noise I heard. At first I felt fearful that he would pull the fire alarm, he does that and I wanted to get to him first. I casually walked the halls and called out his name. Nothing. I walked faster and called out louder. I became desperate and started yelling as loudly as I could while frantically checking inside every door and behind every corner. Now I was praying he'd pull the alarm!

I know my son. He runs away often but never turns down a trip to french fry city. "Let's go get some french fries, come on, I'm getting in the van..."

Tigers always come running at that invitation, but mine was not turning up. I was trying to stay calm for the girls' sake but it was no good. My heart was pounding and my mind racing. The girls were now yelling just as loudly as I was.

I second guessed my logical thinking and headed outside. I circled the building in record time and then repeated just in case he turned up. I was calling out to him and then noticed a change in the parking lot. Not only had the teenager left, but a pick up truck that had been parked off in a corner was also gone. My imagination is far too great and I feared the worst.

I called out to my grandmother. She passed away when I was 12 but I know she is with me and looks after my Tiger. I believe she is his personal angel that keeps him safe when I can't. I looked up and cried, "Grandma, please find him and keep him safe until I get there." I then cried to my Father in Heaven to help me get there, wherever 'there' was.

After searching for 10 minutes, I called Mr. Zookeeper for reinforcement, time was of the essence and I needed help.

I dialed my mom who lives six hours away, just because I needed to and when she didn't answer I called out to my grandma again. (Any neighbors within view might have had another reason to question those Mormons always talking to the dead!) I cried some more and then called Mr. Zookeeper again.

I couldn't find Tiger!

I left the girls in the warm foyer as I went to go get the number for the police (we have that number along with the fire department handy). As I came back in the hall, the girls were screaming that they'd heard Tiger call my name.

I listened. I heard nothing. I called out and listened again. Still nothing. Then, out of the dark, I heard his quite voice, "Mom?"

I tracked it like a mother wolf and came upon locked doors. Using my keys I threw the doors open, still he wasn't there.

I searched some more and called out, my voice echoing in the big empty chapel. "Tiger, where are you? Mommy needs you!"

"I'm here, Ta-da."

He was crawling around the floor on his belly underneath the benches. I asked him where he had been, knowing he couldn't answer me and followed his eyes as he glanced towards the table where the young men bless the sacrament each Sunday.

I didn't know whether to hug him or spank him! Since I was in the church and had asked for angelic help, I chose to wrap my arms around his scrawny body and squeeze him as tight as I could. I explained how hiding from mom was a very bad idea. He looked puzzled at my wet eyes and trying to break from my death grip asked, "now we get french fries?"



This incident is not unique in events, we have these crazy moments everyday here at the zoo regardless of how hard we try to convince Tiger that he should not drive the car to Egypt to hike a pyramid or backpack to Africa to kill a rhino- he is a boy with an imagination and obviously places to go.

Whether they run away from you or just grow up, hold your children and tell them how much you love them because one minute they're there, but the next they could be gone.

Thus, as the month of official Thanksgiving ends and the joyous season of Christmas begins, I am thankful for my children and the adventures they take me on. I am thankful for my health and that I can chase them down and that my blood pumps freely as my heart leaps out of my chest. I am grateful for my sweet girls that never stopped looking out for their brother and heard his cries. I am thankful for Rhino who has his own issues but wouldn't run anywhere- especially away from me. I am thankful to a husband that lets me call him frantically any time of the day.

Indeed, I apologize to the teen that I left out in the cold and to the pick up truck driver that I almost sent the police after.

But foremost, I am thankful for the knowledge that I have of Eternal Life. For a Heavenly Father that shows me what it means to be a parent. We all have special needs and in our own ways, run away from Him sometimes. Alas, no matter how we try to hide and think we're just fine scooting around under benches, he knows what's best for us. He never stops calling out to us. He unlocks doors that we unknowingly close and he embraces us with open arms!

I am thankful that my Heavenly Father, creator of worlds has entrusted me with such a special family. It is a duty I do not take lightly and I am thankful that He is constantly by my side in raising them... and finding them. I am thankful for a thin veil that allows us to call upon the power of Heaven and the angels there when our mortality leaves us in need. I have learned so much about the power of prayer, faith and hope. The power of french fries is strong too but unlike heavenly things, they have their limits, as was this case.

In God, we are always safe! For that I am thankful and my heart is full...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yikes! I'm glad you found him and that everything is o.k. you are one amazing mama!