9.05.2012

Puppy goes to school!

It took some convincing but Puppy is finally heading off to school. First, we had to convince me then we had to convince her it would be OK. "Mom, if you don't turn in the papers- then we don't have to go and we can just stay with you always."  Sweet girl, once she realized I would survive without her, she allowed herself to get excited.

Back to school night could not come fast enough. Rhino was also returning to school but he wasn't so excited. Alas, Wednesday pizza day won him over. Puppy, however, was like every other first grader- anxious, excited, worried and talking a mile a minute.

After finding their class rooms and teachers, I took the kids- shopping- all by myself. Only Puppy needed a backpack but of course everyone had to get something. Tiger decided on everything Spiderman- we decided the lunchbox was sufficient. Monkey got a new clearance- marked nightgown, it was purple so the debate was minor. Rhino got Hawaiian shorts- if I'd realized those would be showing up every other morning as favored attire I might have tried to also talk him into a nightgown, green and black of course.  Monkey got her backpack and she was just beside herself. We picked up a few more aisle bargains along the way. Some were good deals, like the Gerber toddler water 6 pack I got for a dollar, just rip the paper off before sending it with a fifth grader. Other items are placed in the cart just to keep up the pace and get out with minimal damage. "They" SO do that on purpose!

We're checking out and Puppy is gabbing to the cashier and the woman behind us and the air around her.  She starts grabbing at her face and doing the familiar pee-pee dance.

 "Puppy, are you OK?" 

"I AM JUST SO EXCITED; I CAN'T HOLD STILL!"

Here yes widened, I was afraid they'd pop out like something only seen before in the cartoons. She started foaming at the mouth and looked hungry for knowledge. I gave her her space and the cashier sensed my urgency for a quick exit. Together we chuckled. I debated getting out the video camera and documenting her reaction to school now so that when she dreads it later I can hit replay. 

The first day of school brought tears for dad. I was fine- I had prepped her and knew my strong girl could take care of herself. Six hours came and went... and boy was it quiet.

"So, how was it?"  Forty five minutes later I rose my hand and asked if I could use the bathroom.

The student helper apparently put her on the wrong bus, so, per my psycho- worry-mom -in case something should happen- instructions- she got off, found an adult and made her way to the proper bus where Rhino was waiting. We were glad it was Puppy- Rhino would have been riding around for hours before someone asked him if he was ever going to get off.

Two weeks into it we are finally adjusting. I am getting used to the quiet days and informative afternoons. I still hate homework just as much, or perhaps more than Rhino. Puppy loves it. Of course she hasn't had any yet but she praying some will come soon...


1 comment:

Sheree Flick Photography said...

Awe! I love that little puppy of yours. So happy she is loving it and that you all are adjusting well. Excited to see you guys this weekend!!