Is it even possible that my sweet little girl is even old enough to be baptized?
This last few months has been an exceptionally intense whirlwind than usual but this very special event has given me many small but significant moments to stop and ponder on why we do what we do, why we are here and just how special one girl can be.
Puppy turned eight last month and has chosen to be baptized a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. I say chosen because we stressed that this was her decision to make. With two older brothers having special needs and unusual circumstances, Puppy who comes in third was our first to be baptized at age eight- the age we recognize within our church as the age of accountability.
As we conversed about what it meant to take upon ourselves the Lord's name and make commitments to Him, I was offered many opportunities to bear testimony and search within myself for answers to her questions. Her preparation was my refresher.
The hours spent just chatting will always remain in my heart. Puppy has a such a sweet, sensitive soul and she took every word, every topic to heart. She pondered and we prayed. Puppy does not like to stand out in a crowd and prefers simple dresses to formals. As I sat sewing her dress I had the opportunity to ponder her life and the little girl I have been blessed to know. (I apologize to the maintenance worker who moved quickly to repair the oven so as to escape the crazy lady bawling as she sews at the table.) I was emotional as realized that my little puppy is becoming a young lady faster than I am ready. I remembered singing to her before seeing her face. Rocking to calm her and holding her hands as she smiled and took her first steps. I wept as I replayed the many hours she has spent helping her brothers and smiled as her happiness filled my soul. It started out as a dress but it quickly became a very tender moment of appreciation for such a beautiful little spirit.
As life has it, things got busy. Family was asking me about plans before I could even think about telling them the details. Everything else in our crazy zoo life was still rolling on and we had been hit with some extra challenges. Indeed, I barely had the opportunity to stock up on toilet paper before family started arriving! They came far to share Puppy's day with her and our family- we are grateful. Puppy often takes a backseat and it was a joy to see her enjoy her special day.
As I helped her get ready among all the chaos, she remained calm and thoughtful. She quietly asked me if she should be nervous and asked for a hug. I was happy to oblige. In our church we baptize by immersion using the priesthood authority. Mr. Zookeeper was worthy to perform the ordinance and I know that Puppy felt safe in her daddy's arms. She expressed concern that it might be hard for her to always choose the right, and even though she doesn't want to make mistakes, she feared she might. I knelt down and bore my testimony about the Savior's love for us and the beautiful atonement that he offers each of us. I reminded her that she would receive the gift of the Holy Ghost to help her and she was eager to have a constant companion in her daily battles.
The day was not without the typical zoo flare- though it did seem diluted. Monkey couldn't find her shoes, or her dress or her comb. Tiger became upset and climbed under the pew to sleep (at least he was quiet) and Rhino was deeply concerned about whether or not he would be able to change his clothes sooner than later. Puppy of course threw up her dinner and had to skip dessert at her own party but unfortunately she's rather used to that.
Puppy was recently diagnosed with gluten, dairy and peanut allergies as well as anxiety. (Here's proof she got some things from her mother- though I would have preferred her to take after me in different ways we'll take what we can get.) As usual, she has accepted these challenges with vigor and has risen up to overcome them. She is very thoughtful of others and ever mindful of her actions and thoughts. As the primary leaders met with her to discuss her decision she listened carefully to what was being said. She studied her guide to understanding baptism and requested her very own Book of Mormon and Bible so that she could learn more.
Puppy has chosen to be baptized and is now officially a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She said that she felt Jesus smiling at her. I know he is! I also know that our Heavenly Father has blessed me with such an amazing little girl. He has one more valiant spirit in his army and she has proven herself a calm yet strong and unmoved warrior. She has strengthened the Lord's fight against evil and will continue to do so. Her very presence and demeanor testifies of the love our Savior shows others. She gives with no reward and is very quick to turn the other cheek. How appropriate that such a special occasion take place this Easter weekend!
Puppy- as you grow, I want you to remember how much you have changed my life! You are my rock on stormy days and I love you, so very much. You are an example to me and to everyone who has the blessed opportunity to know you. I have no doubt that you will stand as a witness of our Savior at all times, and in all things and in all places. I have no doubt you will continue to bear other's burdens and mourn with those who mourn. You have chosen to be baptized and as such have been washed clean and ready to start fresh. The atonement will continue to work in your life and you will never walk alone. As life offers you blows, I want you to remember the peace that has come upon you this day. As we keep our promises to Heavenly Father, he stands ready to bless us. I offer my testimony again that Christ lives! I am proud of you sweetheart and will always remember your sweet, innocent little smile as you stood there in white, ready to make this commitment. You are ready and you are a force for good in this world that needs more sweet puppies that are capable to cuddle and guard.
As I sewed your dress I cried. As I saw you in it I smiled. As usual, I cried while smiling. Every stitch represents the life you have woven up to this point and it is indeed pure, simple and beautiful...
No comments:
Post a Comment