7.08.2010

closed for the holiday

After that first year I learned my lesson. No more fireworks! Rhino was only one and so I thought his constant screaming and burrowing in the blankets was common. I did my best to soothe him each time a boomer sounded off or another flash lit up the sky but to no avail. His face frozen with fear as he sits in the Walmart grocery cart is not one of my favorite scrap-booking moments. He never has gotten over it and while he's too big to fit in a cart and we don't hang out in too many parking lots anymore- we still find him hiding out every time the sound of freedom starts filling the night sky. Over time we've been able to make him comfortable in the house while the rest of us enjoy the festivities out front but this year we decided it might be best for our family to shut our doors and tend to the needs of the animals and staff. It could be that Tiger has a fascination for fire and started his own in the backyard last month that we wanted to prevent having to call our insurance agent on his night off. Maybe it had something to do with me getting so tired that I yelled at my dishes just because they were there... again. What? They started it. Perhaps it was the girls getting tired of being dragged on errands while the boys were in school and being stuck at home when they weren't or 20 month old Monkey not wanting to wear a diaper as she is obsessed with sitting on the toilet and wiping her bottom. Regardless of the determining factor, whatever started the flames around here Mr. Zookeeper decided it was time for a family vacation.

I thank Elder M. Russell Ballard who said it best when he referred to it as "refilling your well". It does not matter who you are or what you do- everyone must take care to keep their well full and take extra care when it starts running dry. My young family and their needs can be quite exhausting. One day my well can be overflowing and the next sucked dry. Some days I feel such a drought that I have to take a step back and conserve my resources. So where does a young energetic family of wild animals (with little money) go to quench their thirst? Camping of course. The good old mountains and the nature that makes them so refreshing.
After spending 7 extra hours trying to get the trailer's water pump working, we finally fastened our seat belts and prayed that no more incidents would hinder our trip. The kids were so excited for "the mountain" that they fell asleep in the truck before we even pulled out. I guess the extra time it took to get up there was worth it for them because they never complained... none but Rhino who was quite concerned that our lunch was not on schedule and could possibly be missed.
As you gaze at the majestic trees shooting straight into the sky with leaves waving their welcome to you as you drive by it's so easy to forget any trouble it took to get there for it was all so worth it. The breath of fresh air dancing all around you, so long as you kept your distance from 'the facilities', was calming and the sounds of chirping that were not some new ring tone telling you there was a call made it impossible to hold on to any stress or tiredness. I just sat there soaking it all in... after we got lunch naturally.

Camping is not usually a relaxing trip for me, nothing is really- not since Tiger anyway-I never let my guard down as he is a relentless hunter for action and skilled runner. I prefer walls and alarms to be calm but I'm pretty sure I even sleep with one eye and ear open just in case he decides to make a run for it while we're not looking. When Puppy was born and he'd try to make an escape I had taught Rhino to jump on top of Tiger to prevent him from getting away, this worked a few times until Tiger realized that while Rhino was much bigger, he was much faster. That is when I started strapping him to the dog hoping the family pet would at least listen and become dead weight if I used my influence over him... and was holding a doggie treat for extra insurance. Given this state of anxiety with boundaries you can imagine how my anxiety levels rise when we reach the great outdoors but I love them so much I'm still drawn to them in spite of the challenge. Thankfully Mr. Zookeeper knows that if I am to relax he must take control of the animals and he rises to the occasion.

Complete with fast paced tours on the four wheeler and hikes to retrieve firewood the family sets off on their adventure while I set up camp. If I thought I could avoid being displayed on YouTube by some fellow camper I would have thrown my arms in the air while singing Pocahontas' Colors of the Wind, I felt that good. Given my camera shyness I refrained but that didn't stop my heart from singing instead. I just stood there smiling taking it all in. I probably had such a goofy grin that I still managed to attract a curious neighbor. If you see some random picture on Facebook of some twenty nine year old woman standing in the middle of a campsite with a smile paralyzed face- it might just be me.

Not much changed. I still spent the day cooking and cleaning up after kids. Tiger won't wear anything dirty or wet so I still had some laundry to do and Monkey followed Puppy's lead into the fresh, free-feeling of dirt between your toes, in your fingernails, behind your ears, under your nose and down your shirt. The difference was just the change. My family is exhausting- there is no denying it but they are not what stress me out. It's the fast paced demanding and challenging world that we're a part of. I don't expect perfection but sometimes the world does. Never knowing how Tiger will be received in a grocery shopping aisle keeps me on alert (provided he's not running off with his own agenda) so I'm never caught off guard by judgmental comments. Not knowing how to feed picky and stubborn eaters with issues. Explaining to the younger child that she must teach the older. How to encourage a child to break down invisible walls that separate him from his friends or the simple concern of not knowing how the day will go from the moment I awake to when the last child is in bed is hard enough but when you add doctors appointments, phone calls, assignments and just day to day living in the world stuff- no matter how much you enjoy it-it takes it's toll. I was tired and though it was for only a few days, just being with my family in the calmness of God's country was enough to pour a hundred buckets into my well. Nothing beats tucking the kiddos in bed and sitting by a hypnotizing fireside with the one you love. In reality, hubby spent more time sleeping by the fireside and occasionally pretending to be awake and adding to the conversation, assuming one was going on but I only found him to be completely adorable as he laid there wrapped up in a blanket- he had earned it and I just enjoyed being there with him. I'd gaze up the stars and be reminded how there is so much more to this life and that there is an amazing plan for all of us. I felt complete peace wrapped up in the dark night and felt so grateful for the blessings that I have.

So what were some memories I'll take home with me for future droughts? Tiger refrained from running away as he found a new delight in climbing trees. True to his nature, getting up was no problem but getting down proved to be a bit trickier at times so Mr. Zookeeper had to provide a few rescues. Rhino attempted to climb a tree or two but it's just not in his genes to be able to do so-so he found joy in collecting new sticks that he could make into new stick inventions and enables them to fly be moving his arms through the air while he quoted movies. He didn't bother to pack any pants or long sleeves, because according to him you don't wear those in the summer but he did have his journal where Mr. Zookeeper encouraged him to draw the wildlife he saw. We now have illustrations to remind us of several chipmunks, gophers, misc birds that he managed to name and one eagle that flew over instantly sending chills down my freshly shaven legs. Perhaps it was the holiday and the symbol of freedom soaring about, the rareness of the moment or the simple fact that any time a large bird flies over I get a little nervous for my head but it was remarkable nonetheless and perfect timing. Puppy loved her dirt and everything that comes with it and there just weren't enough hours for Monkey to do everything she enjoyed so much. Mr. Zookeeper became one of the kids as he soaked up their joy and became a part of every experience. Everyone was happy! My only problem was at the end when I tried with all my might to figure out a way I could take it all with me. Hubby generally entertains my crazy ideas but convinced me that this time it was not possible (or legal)- I had to leave the tree there.

I love my life and wouldn't change it even if I had that power. I love being a part of this world and all that is good and wonderful in it and appreciate the knowledge that I have in it's purpose and creation. While I enjoy sharing my special world with others and keep the visiting hours flexible and customer service desk open- I feel blessed to be able to refill my well and replace my thirst with living water. It's not always easy or convenient but sometimes necessary to close my doors for some personnel maintenance , and it's amazing what can happen in just a few holiday hours...

No comments: