10.12.2010

An Elephant with a Plan Never Forgets

I used to be a procrastinator... than I became a mom responsible for five other people's schedules and let's not forget the dog because if you put off letting him out- well- for the sake of keeping it clean we'll stop there.

I had a mind that could file away deadlines and I generally knew how long I'd need to make them. Sure, mom would yell at me to just get it done but oh no- I knew better than that. Besides, you don't get your really good ideas until last minute and what if you change your mind... you see- procrastination just doesn't leave time for changes so you actually save yourself some work.

But like I said- I used to procrastinate... and I used to have a full functioning mind for that matter. Now I plan things out months in advance, write them down in five places and lay awake rehearsing all of the things I have to do before this time next year. (Right now men are laughing and women are nodding their heads)

Nope- no more waiting until the last minute to do my things because everyone around me is saving that last minute for their things. While we'll never get passed this until our kids are grown and writing a blog of their own... I have decided that I have become The Woman with a Plan.

Whether scattered about or pinned nicely to a craft I made at a church function that taught about being organized (let's face it, I can't give up procrastinating altogether- I never finished that project; it's still in the garage) I have constant notes reminding me of what is most important to do that day. Run here, be there and don't forget to send a lunch or else you'll get the call that gives you one more place to get to before nap time. I even have a long standing note in the bathroom that reminds (others) to flush. Notes are everywhere but they are all apart of the master plan in remembering to never forget. The saying is that elephants never forget but they also don't have to clean a bathroom either. I decided a long time ago (somewhere in between the births of children... I didn't write it down so naturally I forget) that if I want to remember something-I write it down and if I want to get something done- it'd better be in the plan.

I always have a plan- it's just an evolving plan that changes multiple times throughout the day.. or hour. I plan to shower and someone decides to experiment with the syrup. I plan to brush my teeth but learn my toothbrush was extremely helpful to a play-dough filled shoe. I plan to eat healthy but the chocolate was right there and so much easier to grab as I raced out the door to mommy sing-along time... and it was still there when I raced out the second time because the first time I was there two hours too early (I lost the paper I wrote it down on and failed to write a second paper that told me where the first paper was).

In effort to keep up with everyone, including those who do whatever they like when they like, I'm constantly asking each of my animals, "so what's your plan with that?" Even with my wild imagination, their plans still manage to impress even the most curious minds.

I remain flexible and try to keep my cool mom status but even Mr. Zookeeper has learned to respect "the plan" after he made a few last minute changes to our day and witnessed my crazy-lady impression. Hmm- he's never asked to see that one again...

Likewise, Mr. Zookeeper knows that before we even attempt to step foot out of our front door- I must and will have a plan in place... and then I'll have eleven back up plans handy not if but when each of my attempts is foiled. Viewers may think we are just a crazy sight to see but that's only because they catch me in between plans and sometimes things get a little dirty, especially in public- like me chasing down an escaping Tiger and then letting out a scream as I'm plunging my body at his in attempt to tackle him to the ground... it may look out of control but we are simply transitioning to a better plan.

I always have a plan... even if it's being made up as I go- I planned it that way!

3 comments:

Matt and Teresa said...

Hahahah I love this one, and as the saying goes. Life is what happens while you are making plans. LOL Thanks for the laugh and visuals.

Zookeeper said...

always. :)

Kim said...

So very very true - unfortunately I am still a procrastinator! But I plan to procrastinate so that's not so bad right!