10.06.2010

Happy Birthday Monkey!

Laboring off and on for 2 months- surely this day should be no different. A nice bath and then I'm off to bed for the night...wait what's that? Oh no- that's not bath water! Really? but I'm so tired- oh well- off to the hospital we go. I'm 5 weeks early, just dripping- they'll probably send me home after they keep me awake all night.
"Sure- let's take a look- um- just so you know- that's not a leak- let me get some information from you."

Immediately Mr. Zookeeper starts the texting- We're having a baby!

Prep and complete numbing ready to go. Mr. Doc starts the C-section and dad is on the floor. Everything is going as it usually does when I hear, "Well- everything is Ok but this little girl saved your life... another month and you wouldn't have made it."

I'm looking around- where is she, why can't I hear her crying? With the only feeling I can muster I look behind me to see a swarm of doctors. "Is she OK?"

After a raspy cry, a nurse lifted her up for a split second, "here she is- we're gonna go help her now. " She was gone. Mr. Zookeeper and I left to wonder what was happening.

I couldn't sleep- it's been 8 hours since the delivery and no word. Finally a doctor. "She's real sick, real uncomfortable and I can't figure out how to help her." The list went on, problem after problem and suddenly I spoke up, "what about an infection?" He hadn't realized I had a problem before and immediately set off to try something new. I prayed. Oh, how I prayed.

That first day was brutal. I was sitting alone in recovery while you were surrounded by doctors that didn't know how to help you. It took me a few hours to rest myself so that I could be there for you. Dad and I went back. I was still in a wheelchair so they moved things around a bit so we could officially meet. I saw your tiny body entangled in cords and my heart sank for you. I reached my fingers through the tiny entrance and placed them on your back. Beeping- what's that sound- what did I do?
"The little one's monitor is going off- someone get over there"
The nurse pushed a few buttons and looked at some numbers and then she saw my face full of tears.
"It's OK- the monitor went off because this is the first time she has had a regular heartbeat... she's knows you're here mom."

From that moment on I promised to always be there for you!
The doctors soon learned how to help you and I recovered quickly so that I could help you too. The nights I had to leave you were torture but I was so grateful to the earthly angels that cared for you when I couldn't. The medical team told us two months- minimum. You gave them two weeks.
It was on my birthday that they removed you from intensive care. We brought you home three days later. You were a fighter and you showed them the miracle of priesthood blessings.
I wasn't sure what kind of life you might lead- but when you went for a check up and I was told you'd healed completely- I knew you only came early to save my life. You went through all of this for me. I cannot thank you enough. Your birthday is a very tender one for me. My life was spared and I got you.
My little monkey- my sweet, precious and funny little girl. I love you for not only saving my life but for making it a life worth living. You joined your siblings in making me the happiest mom I could be. The Zoo on Saturday and today the farm- I love seeing your little face light up with every experience life hands you. You are a tough girl- you keep that spunk. Two years ago you were born a fighter- never forget who you are and what you are made of and in some way or another- I'll keep my promise and always be there for you.

Happy Birthday Monkey!

1 comment:

Sheree Flick Photography said...

My eyes are OVERFLOWING right now! Thanks!
Happy Birthday Monkey, "I LOVE you too!"