2.18.2011

The Path of Our Lives

I've heard that if you walk through a jungle- you're safest if you stay on the path. You can experience the world around you but don't get off the path because it's hard to find your way when you're wandering around the unknown.

We all walk through jungles every day of our lives. We all have different paths designed just for us but we all start at one end and finish at the other. Sometimes, our paths cross and we walk with others for a while- when we marry, our paths instantly walk side by side and continue that way as long as we help one another keep moving forward. As parents, we carry our children on our paths until they find their own; then our paths remain within sight of each other but take on their own journey.

While no two paths are the same; we share many things. We will all see the same jungle although we may see different views depending on where we are. No path will ever be permanently solitary. With all of the trees blocking the view and an occasional mist surrounding you; it may feel like you are alone but the jungle is only so big and if you call out- you'll find somebody is just on the other side of that tree or waiting to assist you across the stream that seems too deep to cross.

I'll be there. I'll constantly be looking for you and when I can't see you I will listen intently should I ever hear you call. I will try to help you the best I can from my own path but if you are hurt- I will leave my path to carry you on yours for a while. Of course, I only have so much strength and I will eventually need to put you down; you will need to see if you can continue walking without my assistance. This is for your own good as well as mine. You see, if I get too far off my own path- I'll have a hard time finding it again and making progress on my journey. I'll be stronger because I carried you but I will need to replenish my strength if I am ever to help you or myself again and while you may think you need me to walk your path with you- you need to realize that you are stronger than you think. You see- we are both guided by the same Sun and it's light touches each of us and as long as we can follow it- we can't go wrong. If you ever get lost, I'm happy to stop and give you directions any time you need, and appreciate the same from you but know that I can only help so much- eventually- you're going to have to stop asking for the same directions over and over again; you'll need to take the first step and start walking that way.

It's nice to stop and smell the roses every once in a while, being careful of thorns of course- that's why they're there but if we don't continue moving forward- we'll never see the rest of the jungle or the adventure that awaits us. Some of us will look at each others' paths and wonder why we didn't get that one- some of us will wander off ours looking for a better or easier one only to find more rocks and shrubs and dangers than we ever imagined. Beware of those who try to entice you off of your path- some people offer sincere help while others are lost themselves. Some of us will foolishly try to find our way in the dark and get more lost than before. Luckily- even when we don't know where we are- someone does and we can turn to the heavens for re-assurance. We can look at our maps that we'd been given and get back on track- sometimes it won't make much sense to us but if we keep studying studying it- we'll understand what it's teaching. We might get a few more bruises and scrapes before we're comfortable on our paths again but there will be plenty of people walking the same direction that would be happy to let us walk on their path for a little while until we can find our own.

While we all knew each other before our journeys- some of us may not get to see each other again until after our journeys are through... you have your jungle and I have mine- maybe we'll be in the same jungle and will get a chance to walk alongside each other for a while or maybe it will only be a glance through bushes but I know that when we both make it through- we'll have lots to share when we meet again. Should we not get to go through at the same time- I will look for clues and pick up anything you may have left behind and if you are still wandering when I come through then I'll grab your bag with your name on it and take it with me so you won't be forgotten. You might have to wait a little while longer than some- but I'll help you finish your journey while I'm on mine.

The greatest part is that none of us will ever walk our journey alone. Not only will our paths constantly cross with others, whether we see them or not but if we stop and take a good look- we'll find that there is one person who walked all of our paths before us. He left his footprints so we'd be able to follow and when we get to that rocky cliff or uncertain river- we can look to the other side and know that he's waiting there to help us make the jump. Should we get lost- he'll send someone to find us or come and get us himself if we'll let him help. He will walk when we walk and will nourish us when we need to rest. He will give us strength beyond any earthly power and will be the first to take us by the hand. He'll give us ways to help each other first but he will never, never leave us alone as long as we invite him along.

Yes, the jungle is an amazing place where there are lots of joys, trials and experiences waiting for us. We've already decided to start the adventure so why give up before we get to taste what the glory of getting through is all about? People are constantly entering and leaving the jungle every day- whether we're done with our path or not we'll one day have to account for our journey- we'll have to show what we did and how many times we stepped off of our own paths to assist someone else on theirs. We're expected to endure to the end but we're also expected to help others endure to the end as well. We'll get to keep the treasures that we collect, good or bad and our journey is automatically scrap-booked by angels... we just give them the material to record. Thankfully, we've all got the Son, each other and our maps (I've got extras if you didn't get one and I'll send two people over immediately to drop it off and explain it in detail) and we're given many opportunities to make it the best experience called "our lives"!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, well said! You definitely have a talent for writing.

Zookeeper said...

It's my "out" :) Thanks!