I am pleased (relieved and surprised)to announce that today marks the one-month anniversary of our homeschooling adventure. Sure- a month may not seem like much but have you ever imagined what it would really be like spending a month in the jungle? How does one prepare for such an adventure? I went into this knowing it was something I needed to do, so, I packed my bag with as many fruit snacks and goldfishes it could handle, lots of hope for survival and faith in the unknown. I had my trusty map and supplies thanks to the teachers at the Utah Virtual Academy K-12 program and made sure that no matter what happened- I could always call on Mr. Zookeeper for immediate (or at least eventual) relief and time to retreat and reload.
Once everything was set in place and the shock of what I was about to get myself into wore off (a little)I began to think of the possibilities such a trek could offer. I was finally going to have time to teach my kiddos things that I had always wanted, like shoe tying, dish washing and bed making but just never had the time to properly do. My boys need extra time and help to learn any and everything and this would be the chance to slow down and catch up.
At first I was just ecstatic that I didn't have to stay up late or get up early to finish homework, make lunches or make sure everyone had clean underwear! That ecstatic still lives on.. (except for the whole underwear thing- that still keeps me up at night) but more excitement has come to me through this adventure- more than I could have ever imagined.
Mr. Zookeeper likes that I don't spend his time complaining about the schools' schedules and how a teacher or two just couldn't understand that I needed to practically attend school with my children in order to have any clue as to what was going on and how a principal could justify my child getting lost.. three times. He likes that I can fill in the blanks when no one seems to know what it was they actually did all day- aside from lunch and recess and he likes that when He sees a bag full of goodies he's allowed to partake rather than be turned down by the "reserved for class" sign.
Rhino loves the fact that he gets to attend school in shorts, regardless of what the weather is like and that he gets to have one on one time with mommy- something he didn't always get the luxury of plus he has a teacher who meets with him online and he gets her undivided attention as well. He doesn't like math, or reading or writing or anything that involves work but now that I can cater his curriculum to what he enjoys- dinosaurs and food- he is rediscovering the joy of learning and I am rediscovering my little boy... excuse me- my big little boy.
Tiger is just happy not having to leave his house. He gets to wear his pajamas on "down" days and can have lunch when he feels like eating instead of starving because he couldn't comply with the lunch time rules. He is learning how to choose to obey in exchange for praise... and french fries (hey- we're getting there) and he is enjoying the friendships he's missed in playing with his siblings. He still meets with his special-ed teacher over the web cam and his speech friend comes to the house... he humored her the first time by complying but is not sure about her just yet so he's got to keep his fight on... lucky for us she can take a hit.
Puppy still attends a co-op preschool so she likes getting to be the only one who needs a back pack. She helps Tiger with his work and is very determined to make sure she gets just as much work to do as the brothers. She's learned that she doesn't have to have snacks all day to make the time pass and is very good about keeping us all on schedule.
Monkey is having the time of her life. She's never had so much fun and even enjoys running to the potty every ten minutes whether she needs to "go" or not. I have to intervene quite often as Tiger is trying to teach his eager apprentice everything he knows but she sure loves getting in the middle of things- no matter how greasy, messy or colorful her body, my floor, the couch or even the ceiling becomes in the meantime.
I've learned a few things myself... besides the refresher course in adding and subtracting and the reminder of how long it's been since I went to school. I've learned that you don't have to do everything in one day and it's OK to just stop and take breaths every now and then- in fact- it's crucial and quite enjoyable to sit down and smell the roses... or whatever that smell is coming from the other room. I can still get my own schooling done plus get the house cleaned- every other day and everyone still has clean underwear! All of the time I spent running back and forth between two schools is now time I can spend playing games and reading stories. We start our day with seminary stories and our only homework is making sure the house is clean for dad when he gets home. We have time to work on social skills and eating habits and still have time left over to pop some popcorn and watch a movie together. The boys are still doing grade level work and progressing in each area of studies... even the ones they don't like doing. It turns out I'm not that bad of a teacher - even though I have no idea what I'm doing and I have been reminded over and over again what a lucky girl I am!
It is definitely hard work- there is no denying that I go to bed very tired every night. Having all of my wild animals all together and waiting on me to take the next step twenty- four- seven is crazy and at many times chaotic; definitely an experience I wasn't packing for (after all, I am a big advocate for public education... including the free babysitting part). It's not the right thing for everyone but right here, right now- this is truly a surprise adventure I would not trade for the world! School in the Jungle is full of intrigue and wonder- every day brings a new discovery amidst all of the calls (happy, frustrated, excited and just plain insane) and there is an amazing peace that only comes from nature's finest moments... and of course it wouldn't be an exotic adventure without a few naked bottoms running past you from time to time but hey- we're still learning!
3 comments:
I'm so happy for you and your family and I'm so glad thing are going well. :)
wow you are adventurous. Stephanie, I hope you are printing everyone of these out from your Blog. these are great stories-Journal. You are amazing. Loveya and proud of you. you are a good mama.
Thanks for the support and vote of confidence... on those bad days I'll remember to log in and re-check how well we're doing :)
Post a Comment