Nothing like kicking off the fourth of July weekend with a little swimming. They might look like mammals but deep down, all of the kids are part fish; they love the water. Being at an aunt and uncles house, we were the only ones around so it was calming to let everyone swim without having to keep them within arm distance. They could go down the slide, diving board (even Monkey) or just float around and I could still see everyone. The night was perfect and then we changed paces when we heard a BOOM!
Rhino's aren't usually very fast but when they need to, they can run very, very fast. Our Rhino had such a necessity. Not even his second Popsicle could convince him to stay within ear-sound or sight of the neighbors' evening of fireworks. We are accustomed to making speedy exits so we did just that.
Sunday was nice and relaxing without many sparks or alarming sounds. Of course I felt the need to feed a hungry mosquito while walking five feet from my car to the door (which was inside the garage) so the day was not completely uneventful but still calm.
Monday morning I was determined to enjoy my day. I woke up before everyone else (Okay- so it was like 10 minutes)and got the downstairs cleaned up since I couldn't do it the three previous nights. Not wanting to distract me from my cleaning, Mr. Zookeeeper offered to make breakfast so I could carry on (way to take one for the team hun'). Breakfast is a very big deal around here and Mr. Zookeeper rose to the challenge. We all enjoyed our feast and then the rest of the family enjoyed some good ole Mario Kart while I enjoyed some more cleaning... this time in the kitchen which also took one for the team's breakfast.
We had started a tradition about eight years ago to make homemade ice cream every fourth of July; since we'd never done it since, I thought it would be fun to give it another go. I made four flavors (to please everyone at least once) and concocted cookies and cream, mint and chip, berry and our own nut something... there was chocolate, peanut butter and mixed nuts- all my favorites!
In between flavors I got my game on as well. Puppy likes to JUST DANCE (a girl after my own heart). I was not going to be left out but did sacrifice a few moves so she could have the high score. It turns out that throwing a game to watch your kiddo beam is still very effective. I was afraid I'd lose too many pounds (or pass out- the benadryl was still flowing heavily) so we set off to find everyone else.
Mr. Zookeeper had disappeared for a while but we found him. Had we known what we were about to get roped in to we might have looked a little less harder. We found him cleaning and organizing the crawlspace/basement.... Sure- we'd love to help- be right back.
After being deserted by all, I too walked away from the 3/4 done project and enjoyed a nice nap... hey, it's cleaner than when we started.
Dinner and then off to get some sparklers. Mr. Zookeeper was going to just run to the store alone but decided to go potty first. Thus, we were all piling in the car before he had the chance to escape.
Rhino doesn't like fireworks. Never has and promises that regardless of how many times we try to turn him, he never ever will like them. Mr. Zookeeper has had to adjust to this. He LOVES fireworks and always saved up for months for the chance to blow things up legally in the front yard. Because he is so amazing, he has forfeited this love for Rhino's sanity.
After only buying sparklers... a bag of m&m's, 2 gallons of milk and 6 flyswatters (these sort of purchases are regular occurrences for us)we left the store. While Mr. Zookeeper could resist the piles of dynamite on the shelves, I guess the tents were too much for him. We all waited in the car while he went and scoped out the area.
Still mindful of Rhino, Mr. Zookeeper only got explosions that he felt Rhino could handle. In other words, the little pink and purple flowers that light up as they zoom in a circle. The show was anything but exciting but at least Mr. Zookeeper got to light some things on fire. Tiger has no aversion to fireworks. In fact, he was upset that he wasn't allowed to light anything without Dad.
"Where'd the matches go?"
"I don't know- wait- where's Tiger?"
Yes, I found the missing matches. Tiger wanted to see what 20 sparklers lit up in the kitchen could do.
If the simple poofs (there were no bangs, bams or booms) didn't send the kids indoors then the rain did. Rhino tried to convince me that his bedtime was at 8:30 and so it was more important for him to go to bed on time then to watch the fireworks show... nice try. Bedtime has meant nothing for the the last month so we'll make the exception for tonight.
We ate our ice cream and drove out to view some REAL fireworks...
"Does everyone have their headphones?"
Rhino had his shooting earmuffs so he could separate himself from the noise... Tiger always has his on and Puppy and Monkey didn't want to be left out so they faked a fear of noise as well.
We found the perfect spot. The kids all piled out. We only had 2 chairs so Mr. Zookeeper unlatched all of the car-seats and set them out for the kids. He was halfway through putting the van seat out on the pavement when my redneck radar went off. We agreed the car-seats would be adequate comfort for the time.
We watched surrounding neighborhoods light off their fireworks for about a minute when Rhino inquired if we were done now. Tiger ran down the street, Puppy peed on the side of the road and Monkey claimed to be freezing.
Second attempt to enjoy the evening. Rhino was in the front of the van with an ipod, Tiger in the trunk with the door open, Puppy in her car seat and Monkey wrapped up in a blanket with some fruit snacks.
Mr. Zookeeeper and I sat alone as we watched the sky light up. After being reminded yet again that Rhino was ready to go, we were happy to report that the city's show would be starting soon.
After having a husband and son that are obsessed with fire and blowing things up, I am always happy to sit and enjoy someone else's explosion.
The show started and I ran to point Tiger in the right direction. He was just as excited as I thought he would be and then 30 seconds later he was back to sleeping again... sure, he chooses the night that we are supposed to stay up late to make an early bedtime.
Puppy couldn't decide if she liked the fireworks or not. I think the final verdict was "like" but I can't be certain.
As usual, we prepared for a speedy exit. While it pleased the kids to finally get to go home, it had nothing to do with them. I became the night's dessert. I was trying to press on but when my forehead started swelling and getting hot, I had been bit by my last mosquito. It's one thing to impersonate Hercules with blown up arms and legs but I don't favor the Quasimodo look... it does nothing for me.
I went and stood alone in the dark trying to fend off the hungry beasts while Mr. Zookeeper put the van back together. We positioned the vehicle so we could still watch the finale. This was perfect until we realized that the van was no safer. The window had been down for too long prior and I got bit again. What can I say, I am irresistible.
With my head and arms swelling up- I was very happy I had decided to wear pants even though it was hot and was actually grateful to have been bit three days prior and had already gotten my medication for the summer. Mr. Zookeeper carried the kids off to bed and then helped me get there too. He held the ice pack on one arm while I held the heating pad on the other as well as my head. Not the most romantic close to an evening of fireworks but alas, we've learned to never plan too far ahead anyway.
So there was our Independence Day Celebration. Fire and Ice; a little something for everyone.
Fireworks for dad, ice cream for Rhino. Fire for Tiger and cool dance moves for Puppy. Monkey had it all as she stuck a sparkler in her ice cream. While my fire and ice came literally by the end of the night as I tried to nurse my wounds, I too enjoyed the excitement of the day. The hours seemed to fade as we got a day without all of the ordinary hassles. It was a perfect way to enjoy the freedoms that we have, and a perfect day to remember how blessed we are.
I couldn't help but get chocked up as I looked at the pictures in my family room. I always pause as I view them but today the declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the art work depicting the signing of the former gave me extra reason to reflect on the past and count my blessings. I couldn't help but sing a chorus or two in my heart as I watched the sky explode in celebration. (To spare everyone else- I did indeed keep them in my heart.)
I thought about my home and my religion. I thought about my family near and far. I pondered each one of my children and know how fortunate I am to raise them in a country that gives them rights regardless of their handicaps or gender. I am grateful for men and women who have stood up against adversity and made a difference. We continue to fight on and off the battlefield always remembering that In God We Trust.
I love birthdays! I couldn't think of a better way to spend honoring the birthday of my country than enjoying the freedoms that we have.
Thank you to all of those who have fought and continue to fight to give us these freedoms and a special thank you to those soldiers who let me spend a day with my family even if they couldn't do the same. God Bless You and may God Always Bless America!
No comments:
Post a Comment