Me and the kids, we do everything together. We've always played together, eaten together, sometimes slept together (next time we'll buy a smaller bed) and sad to say even pottied together... one has to go and they all have to go (and I never get to go alone either out of Tiger's safety, a debate that must be settled right that second or just a keen desire to be near me!) Especially since we started doing school at home, we can't seem to get away from each other. We have our moments when we all retire to separate rooms for alone time or time-away, but for the most part, we really enjoy each others' company.
Some of this comes out of necessity. With young kids and the older ones having special needs, I keep everyone at arms length. Sometimes, if I'm really stretched, I'll put Tiger on my shoulders, Monkey on my back, hold Puppy's hand and voice direct Rhino. This is why I have four children and a tired body, but, it works. Our circus act keeps them safe and me sane.
Other times, though, we rally together to live life to the fullest. Naturally, if one person is doing something exciting, we all want to do it. One of my biggest complaints about being a grown up is driving. If I was rich I would not hire a chef or even a maid (though my husband might prefer I look into that one). No, I would a hire a chauffeur. I am very grateful that I can drive but it is one of my least favorite thing to do. Thus, I refuse to be a taxi.
Besides the fact that I can't afford to have the kids all in different activities, I don't want to have to drive them all over the place. In addition, the kids think they really, really want to do something and then go back to their same obsessions.I still want my kids to experience things- just not everything that we have to make a commitment for and pay money to do.
A year ago, Tiger was really into swinging a bat. We wanted to put his talent to good use so we showed him how to hit a ball instead of his sister. After watching him hit and already knowing he could run, we signed him and Puppy up for t-ball. We tried to get Rhino on the same team but there were age limits and we were told his size would intimidate the younger kids (not the kids I saw- they would have sent him running).
Because of Tiger's special circumstances, one of us parents had to be the coach so since I was the one with the pen, I signed up Mr. Zookeeper. Our experience was great all around. Like most T- ball teams, the kids were chasing after the ball like women after chocolate. It didn't matter what position they played or who was in their way- that ball was hit and they were there. There were just as many parents on the field as kids, sometimes more and everyone was cheering and yelling directions to the oblivious four year olds who were just out to swing a bat, throw a ball and earn their treat.
It was a lot of fun. Puppy stood in ready position most of the time while Tiger only joined the game to hit and run, after reenacting a dance scene from High School Musical 2. He spent the off times off at the park or locked in his car seat to keep him from playing off at the park (we removed it from the car and put it in the dug out area so he could be close by when it was his turn). It was a fun summer.
Next, Rhino really wanted to learn Karate. Puppy wanted to take dance. Monkey was in that not-interested-in-holding-still stage and Tiger just wanted to run. There was no way I could afford the classes let alone support them in it. So, I did the next best thing.
I ordered some instructional videos, bought a few outfits, robes and belts for the kick- bottom exercises and a few Tutu's and tights for the tight bottom ones and we all took the classes together in our living room. Tiger insisted he get a Tutu... Rhino was having nothing to do with it, so he was the DJ.
While Rhino thinks he's ready for a black belt after doing a few warm ups, Puppy has a great kick and Tiger does a mean plie; none of us are professionals. Still, we all learned a few new things and we had a lot of fun doing it. Plus, like any good team we had our cheers and spent our gas money and extra non-driving time on much needed treats.
Go Team Zoo!
I love having these times with my kids. As they get older their interests change and so do their opinions about how we do things. We may not always be able to do everything together but for now, we can and we do.
The newest hot topic is what sports to play in High School(too many movies, I think).
Monkey just wants to sing and dance, Tiger wants to do everything from swimming to fencing (and probably could do it all too) but since he'll probably run away from school, we'll more than likely get him involved in track. Monkey says she likes sports but I see her dominating the debate team and the Principal's office. Rhino is convinced he will play football and reminds me he'll be there in only six years... which means I'd better start working on my block...
2 comments:
I love the zoo analogy and your kids corresponding animals :) But mostly, I love the kind of inspirational mother you are to slobs like me!
Megan- thanks for your kind words... however, I could never, ever put you and slob in the same sentence! :)
Post a Comment