8.31.2011

Eaten and Beaten... then chewing some more!

The last eight days have been full of change. In fact, the first three days I felt like I was being eaten alive. Nothing was working, the phone was ringing off the hook and I couldn't get organized no matter how hard I tried. I went to bed exhausted and wondering what I had signed up for! Homeschooling three kids now instead of just the two has proved to be a learning experience for all of us.

Having a child in regular classes, starting in Kindergarten and picking up grade level teaching is definately pulling this seasoned fish out of familiar waters.

Puppy can't get enough work and it is so much fun to watch her learn and grow- in just a week she has already amazed me! And the time we get to spend one on one is priceless. I now have that individual time with each child and I treasure every minute... well, not so much the times when I'm getting beaten up over a math assignment but still, most of the time it is bliss. I learn as much from them as they do me- and maybe more since I'm technically in four grades...

My own school week got off to a rocky start. Actually, I don't remember the first two days because I was drugged up on medication. A mosquito bite landed me in urgent care where I received a tetanus shot, a steroid, some goo and gauze as well as an ace bandage that I must wear for a few days or until the swelling goes down. One should really rent a home by the water prior to buying so as to find out in advance if one is allergic to the massive mosquito population.

The first week I felt eaten and beaten by the overwhelming assignments and to- do list and the second week I felt eaten and beaten- literally! I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew (even with MY big mouth).

As much as I enjoyed homeschooling last year, I found myself questioning as to whether or not I was making a mistake in doing it again. Thursday proved to be much calmer and I felt, for the first time that week like I had oxygen again. I regained my strength only to have it taken again by a bug. Now, three days into this week I feel as if I am gaining some control back.

I guess, my point in all of this yo-yoing is that just because something is good or right does not mean it is going to be easy. And just because something is hard doesn't mean it's wrong. When things go as planned I can pat myself on the back and go right to sleep. Yet, when things are out of my hands, I must get on my knees and ask My Father in Heaven to guide me by the hand and show me the new way to go. I have been very blessed. I feel like the opportunity to teach my children at home has filled in the gap that I've had. Sending the older two kids off to school at age three left me feeling robbed in a way of years that I didn't get to have them at my side. I needed the help, no doubt and it was invaluable but still left me wanting for more time with my children.

This opportunity has given me time back somehow and now I feel closer to each child than I ever have. I truly share each struggle and achievement with them and I am the first one to catch them as they fall or high five them when they cross a finish line.

My own adventure in schooling has taught me that it's ok to ask questions, to learn at your own pace and to not have to be the top of the class. Given my other responsibilities, it is impossible for me to always make my grades top priority but the more I focus on the journey rather than the destination, I become engulfed in what I am learning and find myself wanting to do more; but this time it's for me and not for a teacher's praise. At the end of the year it's not how many A's you've earned, it's how many things you've learned. Only two semesters has brought me knowledge that has been beneficial in helping my children and myself grow. I am grateful for this opportunity as well and for modern technology that makes it possible to learn in any situation.

I've been eaten and beaten and we're not even through the second week of school yet. But, that's okay because I plan on doing a lot of chewing myself. We've got a chunk of life to bite into and fortunate for us, we've all got big appetites...


1 comment:

Megan Goates said...

Sorry you were so sick--curse you little mosquito! You're doing such a great job teaching your kids and being an example to them of always learning. Call me so I can help next time you get bit.