Eleven years! Wow, time really does fly by when you are having fun...
It was a fairytale wedding and the happy ever afters just keep on coming. Of course life gets in the way of never-ending playtime and occasionally our ship gets caught in a storm or two (or seven)but if I was ever stuck on a deserted island I'd want to be there with my husband and kids. Rhino could tell us anything we needed to know about the animals judging by the climate and time zone, Tiger would hunt and kill our dinner, Puppy could build us anything out of sticks and duct tape and Monkey would find a way to beautify any dwelling and probably even convince the birds to join her in singing... Together they would make enough sound and messes that no natives or their wild co-habitants would dare approach our camp...
Mr. Zookeeper would be my anchor, my wings and my constant reason to bust up in laughter (and yes, I do also occasionally burst out in song as well). No matter how we plan, something always seem to go wrong... Now I know how Gilligan felt. Luckily for us, we prefer comedies over dramas so we always have a reason for a good laugh.
Our wedding day Mr. Zookeeper had a broken foot and left me driving all over Southern California and pushing his wheelchair up and down every hill in 5 different theme parks(though I think there were a lot more hills going up rather than down.)
Our first anniversary we had planned to spend quietly on a mountaintop with a view and picnic. It was the first time all year that Mr. Zookeeper had to work on a Saturday so we got a late start. That wouldn't be a huge problem except I was 8 months pregnant... by the time we got halfway up the mountain I had already stopped to potty three times and was ready for a nap. So, we just pulled over on the side of the road, walked uphill about 10 feet (just so we could see over the car) and called it good.
I can't remember what we did for our second, third and fourth anniversaries- but I am sure it was awesome.(That's what happens when every other day feels like you're celebrating!)Because we frighten most babysitters, we have usually spent our anniversaries with the children. A special dinner, a movie or game and then put the kids to bed... I'd like to say that's when we'd get out the candles but given the energy level of us versus our zoo animals- let's be truthful- we probably fell asleep before 10:00 pm- just because we could!
Fast forward to the 9th anniversary. All 4 children were born and Mr. Zookeeper had lost his job- twice- that year so we knew we were going to have to be creative with our plans. We decided to let it be a day of firsts. We ate food, watched movies and played games that we'd never done before.
Our tenth anniversary we spent on vacation without children. The first day we enjoyed just being alone together and the other two I spent catching up on sleep. We ate out, cooked in and just relaxed. Eventually we missed the kids and rescued Grandma.
This year Mr. Zookeeper woke up before the sun. I woke up after hearing him trip all through the dark house while trying to be quiet. I kissed him farewell (on the cheek to avoid his cold)and watched him leave for the airport. Distance makes the heart grow fonder; that must have been what his boss intended as he sprung this trip on us yesterday.
I started the day off with the kids and their schooling and then I learned that we had no pressing assignments. I thought it a shame to have to do work on my special day (I consider every event a holiday)so we closed the books and went swimming instead.
I had the feeling that I was forgetting something. Still, we moved forward. Everyone had a great time (kind of hard not to when you are the only ones in a public city pool)and I only had to save Tiger's life once. He thought he could swim faster and get away with crossing the pool without me, but he was quickly reminded that I don't make idle threats. The poor lifeguard didn't know whether to help me or just stay out of my way but I managed to get all 4 kids into the changing room without slipping and falling flat on my face. No time for a towel when you're making good on your word; follow the rules or we go home.
We're changing and I start thinking about maybe taking the kids out for an anniversary lunch. My mind was quickly made up as I realized what I had not forgotten to pack but what obviously fell out of the bag. I'm free spirited but am not a supporter of sitting in restaurants without underwear on, so, I convinced the kids that they really wanted a donut from the front lobby and quickly headed home. I was driving extremely cautiously because all I could think of was what if I get in a car accident, the news shows up and is live and they have to remove a layer of clothing...
I no sooner walked in the door and my phone was ringing. I stepped over the towels that Tiger took out of our bag (and found my undies) and saw the caller ID. It was Mr. Zookeeper and just like eleven years ago, I got all giddy and couldn't wait to talk to him. We talked about our day thus far, shared a good laugh at my expense and bid each other farewell again until he flies in this evening (or calls me to, from and leaving the airport just because he can't stand to be away from me- or because I told him to).
Eleven years. Wow. Time really flies when you're having fun and I am having the time of my life. I quote Dr. Seuss,
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams."
I usually can't fall asleep because I'm waiting for a child to catch on to the meaning of nighttime. But, as I'm up I'm also thinking about how blessed I am. I am grateful for the knowledge and blessings that I have. As a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints, I don't just get my husband (or family) for time- I get them for time and all Eternity. We were married and sealed in a temple of God and He has promised that as long as we live worthy, we will always have each other. Things happen but that promise is all I need to reflect on; We are a Forever Family and we get to have this and all the time to come together. That's a powerful belief but I believe it with all of my heart. It is the reason I smile, laugh and share the crazy life we live.
I don't normally care for never ending sequels; but when it comes to my own love story- it's that perfect scene that has no ending because we just keep living happily ever after!
I'd nominate you as head Zookeeper every month and give you special parking; Happy Anniversary to the Love of my Life!
...and thank you for considering me more awesome than fishing AND the Playstation 3...
No comments:
Post a Comment