I received a phone call requesting Mr. Zookeeper and I to speak on a particular Sunday in April. I was thrilled to accept (seriously, me turn down the opportunity to talk?) but the week was not a good one. We were rescheduled for the following week and I believe it was a topic I was meant to research and ponder:
In his latest general conference
address, President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints offered these words:
“ Throughout the ages, men and women
have sought for knowledge and understanding concerning this mortal existence
and their place and purpose in it, as well as for the way to peace and
happiness. Such a search is undertaken by each of us.
This knowledge and understanding are
available to all mankind. Some would ask, “Where is such truth to be found, and
how are we to recognize it?” In a revelation given through the Prophet Joseph
Smith at Kirtland, Ohio, in May of 1833,
the Lord declared:
“Truth is knowledge of things as
they are, and as they were, and as they are to come. …
“The Spirit of truth is of God. …
“And no man receiveth a fulness
unless he keepeth his commandments.
“He that keepeth [God’s]
commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and
knoweth all things.”
What a glorious promise! “He that
keepeth [God’s] commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified
in truth and knoweth all things.”
There is no need for you or for me,
in this enlightened age when the fulness of the gospel has been restored, to
sail uncharted seas or to travel unmarked roads in search of truth. A loving
Heavenly Father has plotted our course and provided an unfailing guide—even obedience.
A knowledge of truth and the answers to our greatest questions come to us as we
are obedient to the commandments of God.
We learn obedience throughout our
lives. Beginning when we are very young, those responsible for our care set
forth guidelines and rules to ensure our safety. Life would be simpler for all
of us if we would obey such rules completely. Many of us, however, learn
through experience the wisdom of being obedient.”
I love how he uses the wording “wisdom
of being obedient”
We have been counseled by our church
leaders and most recently by our Bishopric to keep the commandments.
One of the shortest songs in the
history of our church has such a profound message:
Keep the Commandments: in
this there is safety, in this there is Peace!
I have always sought safety and
peace. I was the child who hugged my mother’s leg, afraid to let go. And now I
am the mother who has her children on leashes and knows where they are at every
minute, never allowing them to get more than an arm’s length from me. I want to keep them safe and I can’t do that
if they are too far from me. Our Heavenly Father has the same desire for us.
However, in his infinite knowledge, he teaches us correct principles and allows
us the freedom to govern ourselves. He trusts us that much!
I have a child whom I don’t trust
that much. In fact, I don’t trust him to be out of my sight or at least
earshot. I worried for his safety even before he was born. On too many
occasions, I have felt my heart sink wondering if “this” was the time my worst
fears would come true and he wouldn’t return. One of our more recent
experiences happened a few months ago. Unfortunately, I have to use the
restroom sometimes and no matter how rehearsed and efficient I have become, it
is just enough time for trouble to happen.
I came downstairs to begin welcoming
kids home from school. I listened and looked: things I always do when returning
to a room. I saw the front door was closed but the chain was swinging. I
immediately went into alert- Tiger was gone and since I didn’t know for how
long, I didn’t know how far he could have gotten. I had my toddler taking a nap
and time was of the essence. I jogged to my corner to see if he was within
view. No sign of him. Whenever we need help, the lord either gives us wings to
fly or grants us the assistance of angels, both heavenly in the flesh. I
grabbed the phone and immediately called my neighbor; someone who is always
ready and willing to come to my rescue. Oh, how I love her and the many people
who lend my family their halos.
As I briefly explained the situation
and what I needed, I ran to look at each window just hoping to catch a glimpse
of his whereabouts. Within seconds- my neighbor took over at my house and I
raced to the van to try and catch up to him. His latest fascination was walking
himself to Walmart. My fear was him
crossing main street before I reached him, his fear was getting caught before
reaching his destination so we both moved rather quickly. I turned the corner heading out
of our development and my heart sank. I slammed on the breaks and threw open my
car door shouting his name. He ran into the street to make his final attempt of
escape. In his limited view, he did not see the car racing towards him. Using
borrowed strength- I managed to come between him and the screeching car. I will
forever be grateful to the driver of that car for being alert and aware. I will
forever be grateful to my Heavenly Father for sparing our lives. I grabbed my
son and wobbled to the curb. He was still kicking and screaming, completely
oblivious to what might have just happened. We have all been there. You hold
them tightly with one hand and swat their bums with the other.
I held him close. “Why don’t you
listen to me” I would cry. His simple, innocent response, “I want to go to
Walmart, let me go, you are ruining my life!”
While I was busy trying to save his
life, he saw it as a punishment. How many times do we disobey because we want
something else and don’t realize the danger through our limited vision? Luke
6:46 asks, “Why
call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” How many times do we push our Savior away not realizing he
gave his life for us? Do we appreciate that the commandments are given as a
means to bless and enrich our lives as opposed to limiting our experience?
Keep the commandments, in this there
is safety, in this there is peace.
As just demonstrated, I am a mother
who tries teaching that obedience brings blessings. However, in my own limited vision, I too
struggle with thinking that sometimes I know better.
Many are aware of my recovery
process regarding my health. Through such uncertain times, I have struggled to
find the peace and happiness that my soul desired. Through prayer I have come
to know my Savior and his love for me. Through obedience, I have shown my love
and faith in him. My faith was not always strong. I would plea for deliverance
and beg to have it all end the way I wanted, and when I wanted.
My answers were simple. Follow the
directions your doctor is giving to you and peace will come. I had many
restrictions and I am working through many of them still but boundaries were
given not because my doctor or Heavenly Father were cruel and didn’t want me to
eat anything with flavor or do anything fun- they were given to get me back on
the path and keep me there.
The tables had been turned. I was
the innocent child trying to get what I wanted rather than listening to my
parent who knew better for me.
I have learned the hard way, over
and over that just one bite is not worth a week’s misery and I have come to
appreciate the simple things in life, including the health benefits of pink,
brown and green smoothies.
Keep the commandments, in this there
is safety, in this there is peace.
Our spirits fought for free agency.
Not only are we entitled to it but we continue to long for it. I read of psychological
studies known to have shown that when we say the words, “I can’t” there is a region in
our brain that triggers resentment and discontent. Almost rebellion, if you
will. This is because our spirits, who ultimately control our minds and bodies
know that we are never forced to do anything- we have the right to choose. Tests have suggested that tasks, even
impossible ones, are more easily handled when we say, “I choose this because”
rather than “I can’t”.
As we read the scriptures, we find
thousands of opportunities where the Lord gave his children a choice to follow
his commandments. Some chose well, others did not but no one was free from
challenges regardless of their faith- it didn’t change their problems, in fact
sometimes their obedience seemed to make things worse. We see that Nephi’s
obedience got him in trouble with his brothers on several occasions. Still, he
declared, “I will go and do the things the Lord commands, for I know that the
Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, lest he shall prepare a
way for them.” His testimony and faith did
not remove his burdens but they did provide peace in uncertain times and
through difficult tasks while his brothers did not experience the same
contentment.
Abinadi’s obedience got him captured
and bound; still, he continued to testify even while surrounded in flames. He
knew that his safety would come as he stood alongside his Maker and that he’d
have heavenly peace for evermore. Moroni’s obedience left him alone as the last
righteous man of his time. His safety and peace came as he buried the plates
and saved generations. Joseph Smith’s obedience cost him his life as he sealed
his testimony, alongside his brother in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior. Even
while being persecuted, the saints knew obedience would bring them safety and
peace, even if it was only within their own hearts.
And what greater example of
obedience do we have than that of our Savior?
"The Savior demonstrated genuine love
of God by living the perfect life, by honoring the sacred mission that was His.
Ever was He humble. Ever was He sincere. Ever was He obedient.
Though He was tempted by that master
of deceit, even the devil, though He was physically weakened from fasting 40
days and 40 nights and was an hungered, yet when the evil one proffered Jesus
the most alluring and tempting proposals, He gave to us a divine example of
obedience by refusing to deviate from what He knew was right.
When faced with the agony of
Gethsemane, where He endured such pain that “his sweat was as it were great
drops of blood falling down to the ground,”
He exemplified the obedient Son by saying, “Father, if thou be willing, remove
this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”
Are we willing to obey? "
If we could see the bigger picture, my
son probably would not risk his life so much in the name of immediate want of
pipe cleaners, legos and square crackers. I probably would not distress over
foods I should not eat because I know that the long-lasting blessing of health
and strength surpasses any immediate but temporary desire. Perhaps it would be
easier to keep the Sabbath day holy or to honor our parents; to love our
neighbors and to study the scriptures.
Though we may not always understand the
purpose of some commandments in this life, our obedience in them shows our love
and faith in our Heavenly Father’s wisdom.
As we view life with our eternal
eyes, we no longer see the commandments given to us as limits or restrictions
but as the blessings that they are meant to be in offering us safety and peace.
President Monson prophetically
concluded:
My brothers and sisters, the great
test of this life is obedience. “We will prove them herewith,” said the Lord,
“to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command
them.”
The knowledge which we seek, the
answers for which we yearn, and the strength which we desire today to meet the
challenges of a complex and changing world can be ours when we willingly obey
the Lord’s commandments. I quote once again the words of the Lord: “He that
keepeth [God’s] commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified
in truth and knoweth all things.”
I add my testimony to his…
If we want to know, we must do. I have come to know my Heavenly Father and my Savior personally over the last year. While I would not care to repeat the events, I never want to forget them or their lessons. I am grateful for my knowledge in an ever powerful Father in Heaven that loves me more than I could ever know in this life. I am grateful for the plan of salvation and my belief in it and eternal families. I have no doubt that my Savior has stood beside me in my darkest hours. He has comforted me as no one else could and helped me to learn who I am. He has celebrated in my joys and conversed with me and calmed my troubled heart as often as I would open the door and invite him in.
I am grateful for rules and boundaries and the safety that they provide. I have enough to do without having to try and guess the ways of the Lord. He lays them out for me and helps me keep the course, never forcing my hand but never letting go of it either. I bear my witness that God is a God of hope and love and that through him, peace and safety can be found.
1 comment:
This is wonderful girl! You are an amazing writer. Thank you for sharing! I needed that!
Post a Comment