"Birdsong is familiar to everyone and has been a source of inspiration for centuries, of course, but most of us are surprised to learn that other animals also sing -- and not just humpback whales. Various species of mammals, amphibians, insects and even fish are now known to produce idiosyncratic songs." (http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-Animals-Sing?&id=1349748)
Some animals sing for pleasure, some for mating rituals (which could also result in pleasure), some sing as a warning, a call or just to annoy you early in the morning or late at night. Regardless of why they do- many animals have their own distinct song and sing it loud for all to hear.
I am a soprano, a very limited soprano that is a professional "extra" in choirs and ensembles. My mother is an alto and while I try to sing with her, I always feel more comfortable in my own range. My father on the other hand sings bass and no matter how hard I try to reach those awesome low notes- I just cannot do it- my voice was not made for it- I was not made for it. So, while I love to hear the booming male's voice it would be a waste of time for me to try and achieve those results. I can work on singing more with my mom and expand my range and tuning but I can also take what I am good at and excel. I can learn and practice and become the best soprano that I can be (even if it means always being back up). I can find ways to succeed on my own and add to something wonderful when all of the parts are put together.
I believe that every child has their own voice and it is our job as parents to help them find the perfect song for them sing.
Animals learn for survival. We learn to become more than what we are- to learn all that we can and to become superior beings.I believe that while we all have to learn and grow that does not mean that we all need to learn and grow the same way. If each of us is so different then why are we constantly compared? We do not go whale watching to hear the song of a mockingbird so why are we so surprised when our puppies and monkeys sing differently? I have four children and each one of them brings their own talents, strengths and ideas to the table, floors and walls for that matter.
I can't decide which is harder- the older child who refuses to potty train, finds a perfect piece of carpet and just unloads or the younger child who insists on potty training but isn't any good at it yet; removes the diaper (doesn't tell mom) puts on underwear and decides to let the family know she's decided to grow up when she soils all over your lap in a restaurant. I have potty trained three and about to be four (ready or not) kids and each one did it so differently. I tried to do the second the same as the first- after all, I did it once so I must have been a pro but believe me- you cannot potty train a tiger the same way you train a rhino!
There are so many books and opinions that tell us how to do things but quite frankly- none of those have ever worked for me. The only help I could give to the world is how not to raise your children. I'm learning to never underestimate their abilities- encourage them to reach for the stars and become their step stool until they can touch them on their own. Don't compare your kids to each other or anyone else and teach them to do the same. Never leave a bowl of water sitting on the floor- it only leads to disaster and we should be very careful how we try to mold our little ones- we are not perfect ourselves so the biggest thing we can teach them is how to learn.
Because I always have more than enough to say I really could go on forever (and just might someday) but what I really want to express is that there are thousands, millions of songs and they were all written in different ways and some even have hundreds of versions (insert any Christmas song here). I don't know every song, some I don't understand, some lack the beat I need to get my groove on and some just downright frighten me (usually the ones that involve strobe lighting and lots of big jewelry) but each is a masterpiece to their creator. I remember a time I was asked to sing a solo, not hard to remember since it was the only time, but when I rehearsed I felt so uncomfortable that I just cried. My sweet accompanist who was also a musical genius changed the key around to make it possible for me to sing. Once I was confident in my abilities, she made a few more changes and we did this until the song was clearly recognizable but written just for me. Empowered with confidence I sang my little heart out and had a great time doing it. Sometimes a little change in how we do things makes the difference between failure and success.
We are indeed here to learn and we must jump off a few cliffs to see how far we can fly but you would never push a lion over a cliff and expect him to spread his wings. Instead you would boast of his strengths and acknowledge him for the king that he is- on the ground.
Some songs are heard loudly and often while others are soft and discreet- making it almost a secret privilege to be able to hear but everyone has the ability to sing and everyone has a song full of purpose and strength.
Each of my animals has their own voice and their own song. When they're all singing together it gets a little crazy but when they find their strengths and sing with confidence- they move mountains.
Thank you kiddos for helping me find my own voice and always know that you are the music of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment