1.23.2011

Bedtime Stories

I don't know what it is about a bedtime story that just completes the day. Sometimes they are the mud on the clean carpets that make you call in Dad for reinforcements while other times they become the cherry that tops off the perfect day.

While I have always wanted to read to my kids, only puppy ever really let me. Then recently, everyone but Tiger got in on the action. He was usually not too far off but not acting interested either. Rhino still prefers the titles that suit his own interests but is happy to sit through just about anything, provided it's not boring for too long because he gets bored of being bored all of the time. Monkey will only sit through the story if she's sitting on my lap, and since no one else protested, I let her get away with snuggling me.

Each child gets to take turns choosing the books and we get new ones every month (from the thrift store of course)to keep our supply exciting (for me- they could read the same ones over and over again). I have become extremely talented at speaking while being interrupted, answering questions and continuing on without skipping a beat and while my British accent still needs some work I have the Dr. Seuss characters all very distinguished.

What started as a chance to read all of the books we'd collected over the years has turned into so much more. It is our special time to all sit together and the kids have mom's undivided attention and I, for the most part, have theirs. Reviewing basic story lines has turned into what happened that day- the joys, the fears and the little things that I probably would never get to hear about. Rhino comes out of nowhere with things he remembers and has been thinking about all day. He always requests the "special song" because it helps him have the best dreams. Two nights ago, I was tired and almost gave up the special time when Tiger brought me a book and said, "bedtime story?" He was participating the whole time- I just never knew it. Puppy thrives on being able to sleep with the book after we've read it, provided she beats Monkey to it and Monkey just likes emptying all of the books from the trunk.. and my shelves. In fact, tonight monkey chose the book- she insisted and when I tried to persuade her, using all-time favorites, she insisted that we read an excerpt from Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol... what can I say, she appreciates the classics.

A story, a special song.. or two...or ten and then a kiss goodnight. I blow each of them a kiss and then they all blow me a kiss which blows me right out of the room (otherwise I'd probably never leave). I love to watch them learn and grow and bedtime is one of those quiet moments when we not only watch but participate in their thoughts and feelings. I am grateful for the times to be still and marvel at what miracles I have been blessed to share my life with... and let's face it- wild animals are so much easier to love and appreciate when they're sleeping.

"My sweet surprise, this is your lullaby
so put all your cares away-
you were given to me and I hope you believe
That I'll always be here for you...
Some days you'll laugh, and some days you'll cry
but remember your life's full of joy.
Take my hand, I will guide- and one day step aside
to watch you walk on your own
But wherever you are- you are never too far
for you'll always be in my heart-
My sweet surprise, this is your lullaby
so put all your cares away-
Rest your head, go to sleep- and your dreams I'll keep
Because I'll always be here for you!
My sweet surprise, this is your lullaby..."

1 comment:

BJ & Tauna said...

love it and the lulabye song